Central Himalayan Institute for Nature & Applied Research (CHINAR)
Central Himalayan Institute for Nature & Applied Research (CHINAR) is a Non-Profit Organization based in the Indian Himalaya and engaged in applied research & development and capacity development related to sustainable mountain ecosystems for sustainable livelihoods of the mountain communities.
CHINAR is registered as a Trust under Trust Registration Act 1882. The main goal of the organization is Sustainable Mountain Ecosystems for Sustainable Livelihoods.The main objectives of the organizations are:
- To work for livelihood improvement of the Himalayan Communities to raise the quality and standard of living;
- To document and promote indigenous knowledge of the Himalayan communities;
- To raise awareness on environmental, cultural and social issues of Himalaya among citizens/society at large;
- To develop the capacity of Himalayan communities for ecological restoration, livelihoods and cultural improvement;
- To research and document the ecological and cultural richness of the Himalaya and work for its betterment;
- To research, develop and promote appropriate technologies for the Himalaya;
- To improve the education standard through experiential learning, new methodologies and capacity development of teacher.