Royal Thimphu College
Royal Thimphu College is Bhutan’s first private college, in operation since 2009 and affiliated to two national universities, the Royal University of Bhutan and the Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan. The College is independently accredited by the Bhutan Accreditation Council and rated with its highest grade, an A+ (Excellent).
RTC seeks to become an institution of academic excellence that sets inspiring standards for education by challenging its students to achieve their full potential and to become independent lifelong learners who are well-rounded responsible citizens.
1. To contribute to educational excellence in Bhutan by providing an education meeting international standards at a reasonable cost.
2. To foster students’ individual development to prepare them for successful careers in a rapidly changing world and to strengthen their capacity to be active and responsible members of their professions and communities.
3. To create an institutional culture that helps individuals develop their distinctive capabilities while fostering commitment to the College and its mission.
4. To be a crucible of new ideas and knowledge that seeks to enrich people’s lives and enhance the welfare of society.
The RTC campus, covering an area of 25 acres in Ngabiphu near Thimphu, offers a secluded and peaceful natural environment for study. At the same time, it is only 20-30 minute drive from the capital city, Thimphu, which offers sports, leisure and cultural attractions as well as the potential for student internships and field trips. RTC faculty staff hail from several different countries. Together they provide diverse and innovative teaching methods and offer students an international perspective on their studies. All of our lecturers are well qualified and dedicated to providing the best possible education for RTC students. The College’s primary mission in Bhutan is to provide a college education that can push the standard traditional model of education slowly towards more modern/innovative approaches focusing on the holistic/skills-based development of our students. Since the College's very early days, we have felt that having good international exposure is important for us and our primarily Bhutanese students. Therefore, we became the first full scale study-abroad option in Bhutan for students from other countries in 2010.
The College offers the following Bachelor’s degree programmes:
- Business (BBA & BCom)
- BSc in Nursing & Midwifery (4 yr)
- BSc in Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- BA in English Studies
- BA in Development Economics
- BA in Political Science and Sociology
- BA in History and Dzongkha
- BA in Anthropology
- BA in Mass Communication
Bhutan has an intact natural heritage in part because of its development philosophy of Gross National Happiness, which promotes environmental conservation. The BSc Environmental Management (EM) programme provides the theoretical knowledge along with practical skills that future leaders will need in order to help create and maintain sustainable societies in Bhutan and beyond. Some of the critical issues any development practitioners and leaders must work to address include: management of scarce natural resources, pollution and waste management, climate change, and population growth. At the same time, the programme aims to inculcate the opportunities and benefits that can arise from the sustainable management of natural resources and innovative eco-friendly practices.