University of Mandalay
University of Mandalay (UM) is a public liberal arts university located in Mandalay, Myanmar. Formerly an affiliate of Rangoon University, Mandalay University is the second oldest university in the country, and the largest university in Upper Myanmar. The university offers bachelor's, master's and doctorate's degree programs in common arts, sciences and law disciplines. Its regular Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) take four years to complete and honours degree programs BA (Hons) and BSc (Hons) take four years. But the law program was different from the others and it takes up to five years.
The vision of the UM is to strive towards the emergence of a leading National Research University. Its Core Values are:
- High quality education
- Academic oriented research
- applied research progress
- Contribution to the needs of local and global community aligned with environmental responsibility
A Brief History
- In June 1925, Mandalay College was founded on the campus of 253.3316 acres as an affiliated institution to the University of Rangoon(University of Yangon).
- In 1947, it was upgraded to a degree college and named Mandalay University College.
- In 1958, it became the University of Mandalay and there were faculties of Arts, Science, Agriculture and Medicine.
- In 1964 the faculties of Agriculture and Medicine were carved out from UM to become separate Universities.
- Since then, it was called the University of Mandalay.
It consists of two governing bodies:
- The University Administration Body (Council)
- The University Academic Body (Senate)
The Rector of the University of Mandalay is the Chairman of both bodies.
Management of Supporting Affairs
- General administration
- Support services
- Financial affairs
Management of Academic and Student Affairs
- Research in specialized area
- Before 1964, the University of Mandalay practiced faculty system comprising of Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Agriculture and Faculty of Medicine.
- After 1964, the faculty system was changed to department system. Agriculture and Medicine faculties were carved out from UM to become Agricultural University and Mandalay University of Medicine under separate ministries.
Social Science Departments
- Oriental Studies
- International Relations
Natural Science Departments
- Industrial Chemistry
Interdisciplinary Courses (Newly introduced)
- Environmental Studies
- Computer Science
Teaching Programmes at UM are:
- 9 Diploma Programs: DELT, DTSM, DAPsy, DBL, DIL, DIR, DOS, DPS, PGDGIS
- 20 BA/BSc Programs Arts and Science
- 12 BA/BSc (Hons) Programs Arts and Science
- 21 Master Programs Arts and Science, MBA
- 12 Master of Research Programs Arts and Science
- 15 Doctor of Philosophy Programs Arts and Science
Some more diploma courses are on the way to offer (eg- Culture and Tea processing, Diploma in Environmental Studies, Water Quality)
From the academic year 2013-2014, MU accepted First Year Undergraduate Students for 20 arts and science subjects.
Research Interests by the Department
- Chemistry:Natural Products Organic Chemistry
- Physics:Wireless Communication and Data Transmission, Solar Energy, Sustainable Energy, Theoretical Nuclear Physics
- Zoology:Aquaculture, Biodiversity
- Botany:Biofertilizer, Plant Systematics, Plant Diversity, Algae, Fungi
- Mathematics:Theoretical and Applied Mathematics
- Geology:Gemology, Vertebrate, Paleontology, Economic Geology, Petrology, Regional Geology
- Geography:Environmental Science, Urban Planning & Development, Waste Management, Land use and Planning
- International Relations:Comparative Politics, Foreign Policy Analysis, ASEAN Studies
- Law:Environmental Law, Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Law
- Psychology:Human Behaviour in Myanmar Society
- Anthropology:Ethnic diversity, Cultural Anthropology
- Archaeology:Myanmar Heritage
- Myanmar:Myanmar Language, Ethnic Dialects
- English:Linguistics and Literature
- History:History of Myanmar & the World
- Philosophy:Philosophies of East and West
- Oriental Studies:Pali Literature & Religious Studies
- Economics:International and MyanmarEconomics
- The library system of UM consists of the Central Library and 21 separate departmental libraries.
- A new library was completed in 2013 March.
- Online library project is being implemented by the Open Society Foundation and American Universities. (EBSCO Online Database)
- e-Tekkatho Offline Website (About 30,000 e-books shared from Manchester University in Britain)
- ProQuest (ProQuest Dissertations, Theses and e-books) (i-Group)
The UM has a soccer field with running tracks, tennis courts, indoor badminton courts, and one indoor basketball/ volleyball court.
No.2 University Training Corps
The No.2 University Training Corps is opened in the University of Mandalay intended to offer Basic Military Training for university students (only for male students) who want to enjoy military life.
University Research Centre (URC) is built in 2015 and supports the lab facilities and equipment to the researchers of the following faculties from near and far.
45 MoUs with different universities, institutions and organizations are already signed for the agreements of staffs and students exchange, collaborative research, cross border education system, publications, joint academic activities such as workshops, seminars, and conferences. The partners universities/ institutions are not only from the neighbouring countries and ASEAN Region but also from Europe, East Asia, USA and Australia.